The initials ICT may be seen all over the place, especially in education. However, what exactly does it imply? In order to know, read this overview of this crucial and ever-changing topic.
ICT is an abbreviation for information and communication technology. However, there is no widely recognised definition of information and communication technology other than defining an acronym. This is because ICT services, techniques, and applications are continually developing on a near-daily basis, and it’s tough to stay up.
ICT refers to any device that can hold, access, modify, send, or receive data in digital form. Home computers, digital tv, email, and robots are a few examples. Analyse all applications of digital technology that emerge to assist individuals, companies, and enterprises, using information while thinking about ICT.
As a result, different types of information and communication technology (ICT) are engaged with the storage, collection, modification, transmission, and reception of digital information. It’s also important to consider how the wide range of applications might interact with one another.
ICT is frequently divided into two categories of products in the commercial world:
- Computer-based innovations of the past
- Techniques of digital communication
Now let us take a quick look at these two areas to see what sorts of items and concepts ICT services can cover:
Computer-Based Innovations of the Past
Standard Office Software
- MS Word, for example, may be used to compose letters, documents, and other documents.
- Spreadsheets like MS Excel may be used to analyse financial data, do computations, and develop forecasting techniques.
- Database software may be linked to work information in several ways, starting with simple lists (e.g. customer contacts to catalogs)
- To produce presentations, use presentation software such as MS PowerPoint.
- To create newsletters, periodicals, and other complicated materials, use desktop publishing software such as Adobe In design/Quarkxpress/MS Publisher.
- Graphics tools, such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, are used to generate and modify images in DTP, web pages, and other publications, like logos, drawings, and photographs.
Applications for Specialists
Accounting software, such as Sage/Oracle, is used to keep track of an organisation’s finances.
CAD (Computer-Aided Design) is a tool that aids in the design process. Many types of design, such as architectural, mechanical, electrical, and road layouts, have special programs.
Technologies of Digital Communication
Data transmission across long distances is frequently accomplished via transmitting and receiving devices, cables, and satellite communications networks.
Communication technology is often complicated. It is not required to know anything about them for your ICT course. There are several features of digital interactions, though, that you should be aware of. These are largely concerned with the two types of networks as well as the many methods of accessing the internet.
A local area network (LAN) is a technology that links several hardware components (input and output gadgets, as well as computer processors) within an organisation’s network.
A LAN’s purpose is to allow users to share devices such as printers, as well as software programmers and data. This sort of network is quite useful in the company when coworkers require access to shared data or software.
Whenever you need to interact with someone who isn’t on your internal network, you’ll need to be a member of a wide area network (WAN). The internet is a powerful network, making it an excellent WAN.